5.04.2015

Everyday Blessings // 32


>> baby bunnies (his name is Luca)
>> The Avengers: Age of Ultron
>> discount days at coffee shops
>> band practice, band meetings, band performances
>> sleeping with my window open at night
>> string cheese
>> wearing shorts for the first time this year
>> long weekends
>> being free to communicate something with someone that you've been waiting for the right moment to tell them
>> sleeping with heat pads
>> new tea flavors
>> waiting with expectancy
>> short work days
>> pay checks
>> morning talks with Mama
>> hanging out with couples who don't make you feel like a third-wheel
>> sweet potato chips
>> warm days
>> rainy days

---

How has your month of May begun?

4.29.2015

54 Reasons I Will [Not] Date You


Below is a list I compiled of 54 reasons I will not date you.  Originally, it was going to be 102, but I got stuck at 54.

See?  I'm not that difficult of a person.  Oh wait...I'll probably think of 50 more reasons after I hit the 'publish' button.

And YES.  Many of these CAN have exceptions, but for the most part, they don't.  Most of them don't.

Like 99% of them don't.

---

I will not date you if you...


1.  Whine.  About anything.  Whining is not funny.  It can be cute, but you gotta know how to do it right.

2.  Talk too much about yourself and never ask questions about me.

3.  Can't cook.  (And I'm not necessarily talking about all out gourmet chef style here - although I wouldn't complain about that - but just being able to follow a recipe and cook it well.)

4.  Don't want to have babies.

5.  Do drugs.

6.  Or smoke.

7.  Or drink too much alcohol.  (A nice glass of wine or a bottle of beer is fine, but you need to be controlling of your intake and be able to know when to stop.)

8.  Gamble.

9.  Have no other hobbies besides video games. (If you even actually consider that a hobby.)

10.  Argue.  (Especially with no valid reason.)

11.  TALK ABOUT YOUR EX-GIRLFRIENDS.

12.  Act like sex is gross.

13.  Are 'fine with where you're at in life'.  (No.  Men should have goals and vision.)

14.  Can't take the role of leadership.

15.  Are utterly obsessed with immature things, to a point of I-theme-stuff-after-this. (Pokemon, video & computer games, Star Wars...)

16.  All you can talk about are cars.

17.  Ask me for nudes.

18.  Text me when you're drunk.

19.  Have bad grammar.

20.  Abbreviate a lot when you're texting.

21.  Won't/don't want to meet my family.

22.  Don't care about your family.

23.  Or don't want me to meet them.

24.  Say that you could live without music.

25.  Can't at least TRY to like some of the things I do.  (Or at least appreciate and be happy for me when I find joy in things.  Because I will do the same for you.)

26.  Picky about food.

27.  Can't handle butchering animals for your own meat.  (Not like you have to do this very couple months, but seriously.  If you had to, you could.)

28.  Can't handle the sight of blood.

29.  Don't care about eating healthy.

30.  Don't want to travel.

31.  Are constantly on your phone.

32.  Still talk kindly and over-the-top sweetly about your ex-girlfriends.

33.  Are constantly ogling girls in public.

34.  Don't realize your shortcomings and areas you need to work on. (I'm not saying you have to become a better person for me, but just know where you need to change...for the better.  Not for me.)

35.  Think that the birth process is gross or weird.

36.  Can't have an intelligent and edifying conversation.

37.  Don't have phone etiquette.  (This includes drunk dialing and 2 a.m. calls.  There are very very few exceptions, but for the most part, just no.)

38.  Don't treat all women equally and with respect, no matter where they're from, their lifestyle or their occupation.

39.  Don't have a good relationship with the women in your family.

40.  Cuss a lot.

41.  Don't drive responsibly.

42.  Don't have style.  (A nice fashion sense, okay?  At least know how to put on a tie.)

43.  Talk obsessively about your workout schedule and what you did this day and that day and oh feel this muscle cuz I've been focusing on...  Just no.  If you have a nice body, I will compliment you on it.  But you talking about it all the time is prideful.

44.  Don't have a career in mind or that you aren't currently pursuing.  (Seriously?  You're gonna work at McDonald's your whole life?)

45.  Constantly complain about your job.  (If you don't like it, get another one.  This ties in to #1)

46.  Care more about the opinions of people on social medias, than in reality.

47.  Don't give me space.  Yes.  S p a c e.

48.  Are some whacked out control freak who will question my every reason for not replying to your text within ten minutes of you sending it to me.  (I've had this before.  No thanks.)

49.  Constantly beg for compliments.  (Whether verbally or the I'm-going-to-be-silent-until-you-say-something-nice-about-me)

50.  Don't have a healthy measure of self-confidence and self-esteem.  I'm your girlfriend, not your mom, so no, I won't be telling you how cute you look all the time.

51.  Say that you're 'needy' or 'need my attention'.  (I've had this before too.  JUST NO.)

52.  If you act like we're already dating and tell me that I can or can't do this and that.

53.  If you don't love Jesus, you ain't even in my sights.

54.  If you don't have an understanding of Biblical theology and doctrine and can defend your Christian beliefs.


    4.28.2015

    An Open Letter To the Three Guys I Almost Dated, and To the One I Will


    Guy #1:
    You were my idea of perfect.  You were everything I wanted.  You met every requirement I had on my little 'list' that I had written when I was a fourteen-year-old, romance-lover little girl who knew nothing of the real world.  I first met you around my fifteenth year.  You were dating a girl.  I was happy for you.  But then, about a year and half later, we met up again.  You were single.  I had never dated.  And later, we both told each other that that night, watching The Dark Knight Rises, was a time that we both realized our deep attraction to each other.  I remember how caring and kind you were, asking after my family, making sure I was comfortable on the floor in front of the TV, asking if I was warm enough.  You were such a gentleman.  You still are.  And that's a word I'm thankful I can use - 'still'.  Because you're still in my life.  You are still considered a friend to me.  We talk, sometimes.  Off and on.  You always text me when you drive by my house and let me know that you waved.  That's a tradition we've had even before we almost started dating.  And why did we never start?  I remember that evening so clearly.  We were on the phone.  I was sitting, cross-legged, on my bed, holding the ear to my phone, hearing your deep voice I had grown to love.  But I didn't like what you were saying.  We got in an argument about something that I felt so strongly about in one way, and you the other.  And it was mutual.  We mutually agreed that a more serious relationship wouldn't work, because this topic would always come up in conversation and would mostly like ruin anything we started.  And you exited my life as a potential boyfriend.  But you're still here.  Just as a friend.  I hope you will always think of me as the same.  You blessed me and cared for and respected me during our whole time together.  And I never doubted your affection.  We never returned sentimental things to each other.  I still have the journal, the bracelet and the Valentine you made me.  I will always love your family, and look forward to seeing you whenever we're in each others' state.  I hope you keep smiling, keep adventuring, and keep living.  And hopefully, someday, we will meet each others' spouses and know that it didn't work out for us because the ones God has planned for us are so much better and perfect than we thought we were for each other.  You were my idea of perfect when I was a seventeen year old girl.  But I am very different now (I threw that list away).  And that's okay.

    Guy #2:
    Our friendship started off like the romance story where the hero and heroine hated each other at first.  I still remember the first time I met you.  I couldn't stand you.  You were good-looking but knew it, snobby, arrogant, and came off as the tough guy who played ultimate frisbee to show off.  Oh and I'll never forget how you bragged about how often people told you that Channing Tatum was your celebrity look-alike. We met through a mutual friend.  I'm sure you remember that.  You added me on Facebook, and sent me an apology message for 'what a jerk' you were the first time we'd hung out.  You wanted to 'make it up to me' by hanging out again.  So I gave you a chance.  Something about my view of you changed.  And I trusted you.  We spent time together as often as we could that summer.  I remember you picking me up from a friend's house early one morning and taking me for a walk around the lake.  It was a gorgeous day.  So warm and sunny.  And then one day, you called me.  And through much stammering and stuttering, finally managed to say that, against your will, you had developed feelings for me...and if I somehow felt the same.  I did (surprisingly).  And following that, was a time of 'getting to know each other before officially dating'.  We did well at hiding it from our friends.  To this day, many people don't know you and I were sort of a 'thing'.  But then, you told me that you felt God was encouraging you to stay single, to work on becoming a man, and not to involve a girl in your life yet.  So we backed off.  It was difficult.  I hated not having any closure.  It was like I felt committed to you, but at the same time, I didn't.  I had no clue what the heck was going on.  The fourth of July came around.  I invited you to come watch fireworks with my family.  'I'm gonna be out of state, staying with a friend and her family.'  Her?  Well that was interesting...  I should've known then.  The week after, you called to tell me that we couldn't be together because you had a lot of life things you needed to work on and you 'felt God telling you that you weren't ready for a relationship'.  I honored that.  Because all I ever wanted was to help, support, respect and bless you.  Four days after that phone call, I opened my Facebook and the first post to greet me was you smiling, your arm around a dark-haired girl, announcing that you were 'in a relationship'.  I cried the first day, was calm and cold the second day.  But then you had the guts to text me the following Sunday with 'At the lake.  It's not the same here without you:('  Oh I bet it wasn't.  And I hope that every time you go back there, you think of me and remember the wonderful times we had.  But most of all, I hope you remember how much I was always there for you, faithful to you even if we weren't 'official', and how I wish I would've seen how little of man you really are because obviously you didn't have the nerve to tell me to my face that you were interested in someone else.  And that that was the reason 'we couldn't work out'.

    Guy #3:
    We didn't meet through a mutual friend.  I found you through a hashtag on Instagram.  Pretty cute way of finding someone, if ya ask me.  We commented back and forth for a bit before exchanging numbers (which I basically never do).  We talked and talked...everyday...for a couple weeks.  And then you told me that you still really liked your ex-girlfriend.  My attraction kinda spiraled downhill for a bit.  We lost contact for a while, but then you randomly called me (I was in the shoe section at Walmart), seeking advice on how to get back together with her.  And I helped.  Cuz that's what I do.  You said 'thanks', hung up, and I saw pictures of you two together on Instagram not long after.  Skip to about a year and a half later.  You texted me out of the blue.  Surprisingly, your name and number were still in my phone.  We texted back and forth...then had a phone call that was about 3 hours long...  Things quickly sped up.  We had so many things in common, yet balanced each other well.  The most attractive thing about you was your love and passion for God.  To this day, whenever I tell someone about you, I always stress the fact that you are, above all, a man of God.  Despite your flaws, despite the reasons we didn't 'end up together', you will always have my respect in regards to your strong beliefs, and confidence in defending the Word of God.  Things were going well.  Our friendship was definitely leading to something more serious.  But I didn't feel a full peace about it, about 'us'.  You did, though.  And that was when things started becoming more difficult.  You were persistent.  You were pushy.  You were possessive, and yes, even controlling.  All of these added up together gave me more of an unrest about pursuing something serious with you.  The last straw was when you told (not asked) me to 'make time for you because you were needy'.  Now, Guy #3, everyone is needy.  Even the strongest men I know have their needy moments.  But to voice your need for attention sounded like a five-year old little boy who wanted mommy to come hug him.  I don't want a boy.  I want a man.  And that, is why I said 'no'.  I have men in my life who have shown me what a real man is, have challenged me to raise my standards higher, and who are men I look up to for wisdom and advice.  You weren't really measuring up to that.  I am so glad I never gave you what you wanted, never did anything with you that I would regret now, never let you force me to do anything, and that above all, I kept open communication with my parents about you and me.  Because thanks to them, you were told to give me space, and when you didn't, they called you and just told you to leave me alone.  Maybe we'll reconnect in the future sometime.  But for now, I'm thankful for some breathing space.

    ---

    In one way or another, I am thankful for these almost-relationships I had.  I learned a lot - about myself, about guys, about relationships, and about what I need/want and what works for me.  I had a good time too.  Made some good memories.  We made each other laugh and had fun together.  And I hope those will always stay good memories.

    ---


    Dear future boyfriend,

    I may have met you already.  We may be very close right now.  Whatever the case, I know someday you'll read this.  And this is my open letter to you.
    This could be ridiculously long.  And I know I will never say everything I want to in this small blog post, but I do want you to know a few things.  About me.  About who I am.  About us.

    I have witnessed a fair share of immature relationships, high school crushes, and painful heartbreaks.  I've also seen marriages fall apart, serious dating relationships end and friends being led on only to be told after a while that their heart was just being played with and that the person really didn't care for them afterall.

    These are just a few reasons why I love being single.  Because I don't have to deal with any of that.  I know who I am, I love who I am, I love who I am going to become, and I haven't met anyone who could keep up with me.  Not only to love me too, but to challenge and embrace me.  I also know what I want and need and am looking for in a man.  My standards are high, sure.  But don't they have to be in today's world?

    I have an amazing life.  I love my family, my friends, my busy schedule, my relationship with God.  I don't need anyone to make my life 'perfect'.  It is perfect.  It's the perfect life for me.  And something I think a lot of people don't realize is that we are all living a life as a whole human being.  No one is going to make us complete.  You are not going to complete me.

    But that doesn't mean I won't need you.

    I do want someone.  I want you.  And it's not for the sole purpose of just 'having a boyfriend', but because the man I date is the man I can see myself potentially marrying.  And the reason I can see myself marrying that man is because he is someone godly, someone who I can trust and who trusts me, someone who has proven his care and affection and loyalty to me.  A man who complements me, who understands me, who wants to study me even if we've known each other for years.  Someone who is strong, yet gentle; stubborn, yet willing to be wrong; firm, yet forgiving.  And that man will be one who will be there beside me through thick and thin and I would always be able to depend on his stability and compassion for me and everything life throws our way.  This man will have to be one who also needs me, who will fight for us, always pursue me and not give up at the first rough patch we hit.

    I'm not perfect.  I'm not easy.  I'm a fighter and will argue for my point to win.  It takes a lot to earn my trust.  I speak what's on my mind.  And I'm also pretty selfish.  I can hide what I'm feeling very well.  I can cover up my pain when I feel it's needed, but I want a man who can gently pry my fingers away from clutching at my hurting heart and gently kiss the tears away.  I want a man who looks beyond my figure and physical appearance to love on and connect with my soul.  I want a friend, an equal, a man who I can respect and submit to, a lover, a fighter, a leader - not only for me, but for our future children.

    Together we will define what love is.  An action, not a feeling.  A commitment, not an emotion.  The greatest bond between two people, and a union that will only grow stronger because the two challenge and help each other grow into better individuals.  And still love each other no matter what.

    I ask one thing...
    Don't give up on me.  In every sense of that phrase.  Don't give up on me when I push you away.  Don't give up on me when I disagree.  Don't give up on me when I don't show you affection.  Don't give up on me when I tell you to leave me alone.  Don't give up on me when I'm being impossible.  Because remember that I got along wonderfully without you for however many years.  And I've dealt with many different kinds of guys.  It'll take some getting used to for me to have a real man in my life who actually and genuinely cares for me - my heart, not just my body.

    I am happy with my life.  I love where I am right now.  I am learning new things about myself with each passing day.  I enjoy being single because it allows me to dream of you and pray for you while pursuing my dreams.  And I know that God will allow us to meet at the right time, in the right way, in the right moment.

    I hope you're looking forward to that as much as I am.

    In love,
    Your Future Girlfriend

    P.S.  Just because I've 'been' with other guys doesn't mean you're not as important or significant.  You are everything and more than I deserve and will forever be blessed by your choice of me.

    4.27.2015

    Music Monday | Cities In Silence


    A lot of you have been wondering and asking about the band, WonderFall, that I announced I was in last year (can't believe it was so long ago...).  I am sad to say that, as of right now, the idea for that group has dissolved, as certain band members weren't making it a priority and we just weren't getting anywhere with producing music, etc.

    God opened another door for me, though, and I am so happy, pleased and proud to announce that I have been asked to be the female vocalist in a band started by my friend Justin, called 'Cities In Silence'.

    Yesterday was our first official performance altogether.  

    A few weeks ago, I had to interview a local retiring pastor for the newspaper I work for.  After the interview, he was asking me questions about my passions and hobbies.  I mentioned to him that I sing for a band.  He asked that we come perform at the church on his last Sunday preaching there.

    Yesterday was that Sunday.

    And instead of just performing the two songs we had originally planned for, we ended up helping lead the entire worship time.

    It was beyond amazing.  Very humbling.  And very encouraging.

    We've been asked to come back and play on near future Sundays.  And of course we said 'yes'.

    I can't wait for whatever God has planned for our future together as a group.

    We'll be working on putting some music up soon.  For right now, though, feel free to like our Facebook band page: Cities In Silence.



    4.24.2015

    6 Do NOTs About Blogging


    Below are five things you should beware of in the blogging world...

    1)  Do NOT make your posts too long.
    A lot of times, people want to read their favorite blogs but don't always have a ton of time to sit on their computer or phone reading, scrolling, reading, and scrolling through a super long post.  So try to keep yours at a good length (3 to 4 medium sized paragraphs is perfect).

    2)  Do NOT be too wordy.
    There's a difference between descriptive and wordy.  Learn that difference.

    3)  Do NOT compare yourself to other bloggers.
    Everyone has their own style.  Everyone is unique.  Everyone blogs about something particular.  You are you.  You have your blog.  Make it spectacular.

    4)  Do NOT forget to be creative.
    Add color and spice to your blogging corner.  You should try to include at least one photo in each post.

    5)  Do NOT listen to the haters.
    Yes, you will get haters.  For every good thing, there are at least ten people trying to find the bad in it.  Haters gonna hate.  There's a difference between constructive criticism - from people who are only trying to be helpful and give you pointers, etc. - and people who have nothing better to do than troll websites and try to find only the bad in your posts.  Listen to the former, not the latter.

    6)  Do NOT forget to have fun.
    This is your blog.  This is your creative outlet.  You started this blog for a reason.  Let it be your personal space online.

    ---

    I wrote this in response to a comment I received on my last post about blogging.  I hope it's helpful and not too bossy-sounding.

    To my fellow bloggers - am I leaving anything out?

    4.23.2015

    5 Tips To Being a Successful Blogger


    Although I do not regard myself as highly successful, people have been asking me for tips on blogging and suggested I write an article about how-to-be a successful blogger.  I wish it was a simple 1-2-3 process and boom!  You're this super famous, incredible blogger.  But it's not.  And different methods work for different people.
    Below are a few tips that I have learned, personally, over the years of blogging.  Take them and apply them accordingly.

    ---

    1)  Write well
    If you can't write better than a three-year old (...who hasn't learned to write yet), then you shouldn't be allowed on the worldwide web.  Simple as that.  I'm not only talking about spelling here, but vocabulary, grammar, capitalization, punctuation, the whole nine yards.  This is literally the first step to being a successful blogger.


    2)  Know
    Know what your blog is about.  Why did you start it?  What do you want people to learn from it?  What is your main focus?  What do you want people to think when they visit your blog?


    3)  Visit & comment
    Your followers like to know you're a real person who actually cares.  I'm not saying to visit and follow and comment on every single one of your followers' blogs, but head over there every once in a while.  You can leave a simple comment such as 'Thanks for your consistent commenting on my blog!' or 'Hey, just wanted to say thanks for being a follower!'  It makes them feel acknowledged and recognized.  And they obviously like you, since they follow your blog, so for you to make an effort and stop by theirs will boost their good opinion of you.


    4)  Publicize
    Don't be afraid to ask people to visit your blog.  Just once, though.  Maybe twice every 6 months or so.  There's nothing wrong with letting them know about it, but when you get too pushy, that's only a turn-off and will make them NOT want to visit your blog.  I heartily recommend that you make a Facebook page, invite ALL your friends (even people who you don't think will actually take the time to like it and look over it.  You never know if they might...), and update it consistently.  Interact with your followers and fans.  Share your blog posts on the blog page.  Do the same with Twitter.


    5)  Consistency
    That 'schedule' option becomes your new best friends.  So you can't be online for a week while camping?  Answer: Schedule.  You're working consistent 10-hour days this week?  Answer: Schedule.  Find a time to sit down and write a bunch of posts and then schedule them for throughout the week.

    ---

    I hope these, or at least some of them, have helped you and given you good ideas to taking on the blogging world.  Comment with any other tips you have learned first-hand!  And feel free to leave your blog link for me to check out.

    You can check out another post I did on blogging here.


    4.21.2015

    Why People Don't Like Love



    Too often, I think we refer to 'love' and 'romance' as one and the same.  
    But are they truly?

    They both have to do with a man and a woman, yes.  But only one can make their relationship flourish past friendship.
    They can both easily be faked, but only one can withstand the test of time.
    They are both beautiful things, but only one is eternal and imperishable.

    Romance is what makes us want to watch cute movies in which attractive characters fall in love with each other and we think 'Oh how I wish I was him/her!' 
    Romance is what makes your heart flutter when he sends those sweet texts late at night.  
    Romance is what makes you smile when she calls you by your favorite pet name.

    But love. What is love?

    Love is the beautiful, tormenting, heart-attacking knowledge that wells up inside of you at just the sound of their voice.  
    Love is the reason behind all the late-night phone calls where you fall asleep to the sound of the other breathing.  
    Love is the confidence that no matter how much your hair color fades, no matter how many pounds you gain, no matter if your eyes grow dim.  Love is what keeps the romance alive.
      

    “People don’t like love, they like that flittery flirty feeling. They don’t love love - love is sacrificial, love is ferocious, it’s not emotive. Our culture doesn’t love love, it loves the idea of love. It wants the emotion without paying anything for it. It’s ridiculous.”
    - Matt Chandler


    Love is not an emotion, like romance is.  Love is a knowledge. A pledge.  A vow.  It's what stands when everything around you both has fallen.  And when asked if you still romance the one you love, you can answer 'It is because I love, I am able to romance.  Forever and always.'  Love is a choice and action, not a feeling and emotion.  Love is a choice.  A decision.  And this isn't exactly an all-time favorite. 

    Love isn't convenient.  It isn't easy.  It's complicated, it's difficult, it sometimes happens at the most unexpected times.
      
    I think there are two types of love:
    1)   Falling in love with who the person is.
    2)   Reminding yourself why you chose to love that person.  Even when you don’t necessary LIKE them (during an argument, disagreement, etc.), you must still choose to LOVE them the way Christ loves the church. 


    "In any relationship, there will be frightening spells in which your feelings of love dry up.  And when that happens, you must remember that the essence of marriage is that it is a covenant, a commitment, a promise of future love.  So what do you do?  You do the acts of love, despite your lack of feeling.  You may not feel tender, sympathetic, and eager to please, but in your actos, you must BE tender, understanding, forgiving and helpful.  And, if you do that, as time goes on you will not only get through the dry spells, but they will become less frequent and deep, and you will become more constant in your feelings.  This is what can happen if you decide to love."
    - Timothy Keller


    "I'm single, Raquel," you say to your computer screen.  "How does this apply to me?"

    Maybe it doesn't...yet.  But it might in the future.  Maybe even soon.  The things is, you're living your wedding vows right now.  How are you staying committed to your future spouse right now?  How are you staying faithful to being theirs - in body and soul?  These are all ways that you can practice building a strong foundational love to your marriage even though you're currently single.

    "But it's not easy."

    Heck no, it's not.  Who says it would be?  Loving an imperfect person is gonna be really, really hard.  But guess what?  You're not perfect either.  And they're gonna have to put up with you.  Pretty humbling thought, huh?  I think about that a lot too.  I'm like 'What if I just can't deal with them anymore?' but then I remind myself of the vows that I plan on making on my wedding day and I tell myself 'Those are going to be one of the most important words I will ever utter from my lips.  And I will pledge them with my whole heart.  That means no backing out.  Ever.'

    Love isn't going to be the Disney perfect happily ever after ohmygosh forever and ever kisses all the time kind of happiness.  Love is hard.  It's going to be hard.  Sometimes it'll be grand, and sometimes it won't be.  It will be fun, yes, but that doesn't mean it always will be or that it won't take work sometimes.  During the most difficult times, the most important thing you can do is to continue to love. 

    Love is not about you.  It never will be.  The purpose is not about your own happiness and pleasure and self-gratification.  That is not true love.  Love is not about what the other person can give you and do for you, but what you can do for them.  

    Love is the most selfless act in the universe.  

    The purpose of love is the very essence of it, the act, the art, the life lesson of learning how to love another human being.  And that will probably be one - if not the most - darnest difficulty you will ever experience or have to face.  But it'll be worth it.  It will be so worth it.   

    Love is choosing someone over everything else, including yourself, your ego, your pride, your desires, unfailingly, every day.  Forever.

    It is not in our nature to love, but it isn't against our nature either.  Then what is it?  It is above our nature.  It's the greater good.  It is what God is (1 John 4:8).  And aren't we called to be like Him?  This is something we must reach for, strive towards, because it is inspirational, because it is noble.  Because it is right.
      
    "The healthiest thing you can say to someone you love is, "I would be okay without you, but yet I choose to stay'."

    ---

    This post was originally published by Raquel on Brave

    4.20.2015

    Music Monday | 10 Fun Road Trip Songs


    The following songs are personal favorites or otherwise proven to be fabulous songs to listen to on a road trip.  Enjoy!

    ---


    1)  Come With Me Now - Kongos
    Four South African brothers who have incredible musical talent.  Need I say more?  And this song is beyond catchy and will have you singing for days.

    I think with my heart and I move with my head
    I open my mouth and it's something I've read
    I stood at this door before, I'm told
    But a part of me knows that I'm growing too old



    2)  Best Day of My Life - American Authors
    This is kind of one of those go-to-happy-and-carefree songs.  I mean, the title says it all.  They're pretty good live too.

    I'm never gonna look back
    whoa, I'm never gonna give it up
    No, just don't wake me now
    O this is gonna be the best day of my life



    3)  Centuries - Fall Out Boy
    Seriously one of the best break-up songs that's legit and intense but at the same time fun to listen to.  I may or may not have listened to it six times in a row the other day......

    Some legends are told
    Some turn to dust or to gold
    But you will remember me
    Remember me for centuries
    And just one mistake
    Is all it will take




    4)  The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
    A great and upbeat song telling a little girl not to compare herself to what other people think of or say about her.

    Hey, don't write yourself off yet
    It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on
    Just try your best
    Try everything you can
    And don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away



    5)  Good Time - Owl City ft. Carly Rae Jepsen
    Another go-to song.

    Good morning and good night
    I'll wake up at twilight
    It's gonna be all right
    We don't even have to try
    It's always a good time



    6)  Shut Up & Dance - Walk the Moon
    My brother introduced me to this song a few months ago.  I got it and was like 'Okay, not too bad.  Whatever.'  Then it came on shuffle a few weeks ago, and I found my head bobbing and feet tapping and singing along to the chorus by the end of it.  And this last Saturday, on the trip back from the coast, we blasted it.  And it's kind of fabulous.

    Oh don't you dare look back
    Just keep your eyes on me
    I said, "You're holding back"
    She said, "Shut up and dance with me!"
    This woman is my destiny
    She said, "Oh, oh, oh
    Shut up and dance with me."



    7)  Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars
    This song may be overplayed on the radio, but I can never stand still (or sit still...while driving...) whenever it comes on.

    Ride to Harlem, Hollywood, Jackson, Mississippi
    If we show up, we gon' show out
    Smoother than a fresh jar of skippy



    8)  Shake It Off - Taylor Swift
    C'mon, who can resist blasting this song in the car, driving down a highway and yelling at the top of your lungs 'CUZ THE HATERS GONNA HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE'...?  You?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

    But I keep cruising
    Can't stop, won't stop moving
    It's like I got this music in my mind
    Saying it's gonna be all right




    9)  My Lighthouse - Rend Collective
    Ohmygosh I love this song so much.  Organic awesomeness at its finest and catchiest tune.  I blast this song with the windows rolled down allll the tiiiime.

    My Lighthouse, my Lighthouse
    Shining the darkness
    I will follow You
    My Lighthouse, my Lighthouse
    I will trust the promise
    You will carry me safe to shore



    10)  Moments Like This - The Afters
    If there was one song I could pick to sum up the moment I feel overwhelmed by God's grace and goodness, it would probably be this song.

    Here we are
    This is the time
    Like a dream coming alive
    We live for moments like these
    We come alive in moments like this


    ---

    What are some of your favorite road trip songs?